Open Access Fund
The U.Va. Library Open Access Fund is depleted for 2016-2017. Please check back after July, 2017 for information about future opportunities. Congratulations to all of the authors funded to date!
The purpose of the U.Va. Library Open Access Fund is to support U.Va. faculty, researchers, staff, and students who wish to maximize their research impact by publishing in peer-reviewed open access journals. By choosing to publish in OA journals, authors make their articles free to all readers immediately upon publication. The fund can be used to underwrite all or part of the article processing fee (APF) that is charged by the open access publisher and will be paid directly to the publisher.
Eligible individuals may receive up to $2000 per article, and $3000 total per academic year. Funds will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, with preference for applicants who have not received funding in the past. Eligible authors include all faculty, researchers, staff and students served by the U.Va. Library system (this excludes those served by the Health Sciences, Law and Business libraries). For papers with multiple University of Virginia co-authors, the program would still subsidize the same total amount of up to $2000 per article, prorated among each of the authors for the purposes of calculating amounts towards the year limit for individuals (e.g. 1 article at $2,000 with 4 UVa authors is counted as $500 toward each authors’ yearly limit).
Authors seeking to reapply to the OAFund must be in good standing with the OAFund in order for new applications to be considered (e.g. articles supported by past OAFund disbursements must have been deposited in Libra).
- The journal must be peer-reviewed and listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- The journal should generally adhere to the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) ‘Code of Conduct’.
- Hybrid journals will not be eligible for funding at this time.
- The article must be available immediately upon publication, with no embargo.
- Other content types such as books are eligible, if they are peer-reviewed.
- The author must agree to submit a copy of the post-review publication to UVa’s institutional repository, Libra.
- Only publishing fees will be covered.
- Authors must have exhausted all available grant funds that may be eligible to be used for the APF.
Eligible authors include all faculty, researchers, staff and students served by the UVa Library system (this excludes those served by the Health Sciences, Law and Business libraries).
Eligible individuals may immediately apply for funding upon acceptance of their article by a peer-reviewed open access journal.
If you have questions about the procedures please feel free to contact us:
We request that authors who receive APF monies from the OA Fund please include this statement in your acknowledgements:
This article was published in part thanks to funds provided by the University of Virginia Library Open Access Fund.